Prof. Rosario Sommella
Rosario Sommella (Naples, 1959) is professor (since 2011) of economic-political geography at the Department of Human and Social Sciences of the University of Naples "L’Orientale". From January 2018 he is Pro-Rector for Teaching and President of the “Polo Didattico di Ateneo”.
• 2016-2017: coordinator of the MA in International Studies.
• 2013-2017: vice president of the Association of Italian Geographers (AGeI).
• 2012-2015: director of the Department of Human and Social Sciences, University of Naples "L’Orientale".
• 2001-2011: associate professor of economic-political geography, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Naples "L’Orientale".
• 1998-2001: associate professor of economic-political geography, Faculty of Economics, University of Foggia.
• 1995-1998: researcher in economic-political geography, Faculty of Political Sciences, University of Naples "L’Orientale".
• 1985-1995: tenured professor of general and economic geography in secondary school.
At the Department of Human and Social Sciences (2017/18) he holds the courses of "Political and Economic Geography" (Degree), "Geography of International Relations" and "Regional Geography" (MAs). Other courses taught: Development Geography (1998/2008), Migration Geopolitics, Mediterranean Political Geography (2008/2012).
He is a member of the Teaching Body of the PhD in "International Studies" (Dept. of Human and Social Sciences, L’Orientale, from the 29th cycle).
He was coordinator of the Teaching Body of the PhD in "Geography of Development and urban-regional dynamics" (L’Orientale, Department of Human and Social Sciences).
He was a lecturer (2007) at the "Torcuato Di Tella" University of Buenos Aires.
At the Faculty of Economics of the University of Basilicata (Potenza) he held the course of Economic Geography (Degree in Business Administration, 2008/10).
He held courses in Economic Geography at the University of Foggia (1998-2001).
He was a member of the Faculty of the 1st level Master "MILD" (Master in International and Local Development) organized by Stoà - Institute of Studies for the Management and Management of Enterprise (Ercolano - NA) and by the Faculty of Political Science of the ’Oriental.
He has held various teaching activities in the field of higher education, vocational training and the updating of secondary school teachers.
After the studies carried out at “L’Orientale”, most of the scientific activity has turned to the geography of Southern Italy and the Mediterranean region, with particular attention to political, economic and urban geography.
He has participated in conferences in Italy or abroad (in many cases as part of the scientific committees and organizers) and in research groups characterized by national and international collaborations. These include the international network on "City, commerce and consumption", for which he was a member of the Organizing Committee and the Scientific Committee of the IV International Seminar on "City, Urban Retail and Consumption" (University of Naples "L’Orientale", 14-17 October 2013). In 2016 he was a member of the Organizing Committee of the Geography Days 2016 (annual meeting of the Association of Italian Geographers) on the theme "Mediterranean: borders, cities, territories" (University of Naples "L’Orientale", 8-10 September 2016).
He is a member of the Scientific Committee of the "Memorie" series of the Italian Geographic Society.